Monday, January 22, 2018

Is your Pastor or Chapter director suffering from the Kruger effect

Views expressed do not necessarily represent the official teachings of University Bible Fellowship nor any other current or ex member of University Bible Fellowships point of view



https://images.stockfreeimages.com/209/sfi/free_2093645.jpg
Accessed online on 2018 January 22





After I left UBF I thought they discontinued prohibiting dating and made some improvements.  However I would talk to someone (who was not a member of UBF both before and after I left UBF) from time to time that spends a lot of time witnessing to students.  He explained to me one day how one of the students he was witnessing to was involved with UBF and was having extremely positive experiences knowing that I used to be in UBF which we would talk about sometimes.  We also talked before about how he thought this matchmaking thing was not necessarily such a bad idea and sort of lines up with a lot of Biblical concepts without condemning dating or courtship for other people and talked very positively about it when someone we both knew in UBF was paired with someone to be married and he was invited to the wedding although he never came to my knowledge when I was there as we were both invited.

You can read my article about why I thought they changed their marriage by faith teaching to make it more reasonable here, basically when I left they suggested I date people because I was demoted to a second class Christian not because they actually changed their beliefs but I did not know that.

https://marriagebyfaith.blogspot.com/2018/01/marriage-by-faith-surprise-it-still.html

Later when talking to this same individual I learned that this student suddenly after thinking UBF was excellent drastically changed his opinion and left.  If I remember correctly he apparently got a girlfriend, he might have even wanted to marry this girlfriend.  UBF tried to hassle him basically what it comes down to is they tried to push their marriage by faith doctrine on him when I thought they now made dating optional.

It was at this point that I knew with 100% certainty that it was the Pastor's fault numbers were low and no matter how good a job we did to recruit students the Pastor would sabotauge it.  I also learned that UBF could have been a great environment to help people out if the Pastor was not constantly doing stuff like this to me.  Every single other individual always treated me great and made me enjoy my experience at UBF tremendously and in some ways I am proud of my past involvement in UBF.  There were occasional times when they did things that were bad but that was because of the policies handed down to them by the Pastor or simple typical human imperfection, but the Pastor was beyond typical human imperfection and was systematically a trouble causer.  One of the few positive things I can say about him, is not about him, but that the people he recruited and his family members which I got to meet in a sense because of him were nice to me, which is not exactly a compliment about him directly.  The other positive thing is having access to the UBF building helped me tremendously with school study but he said I can eat whatever food was from there then complained about me eating food when I left so that cancels out that compliment, it is not a gift but a underhanded lie if you do something like that.

It was the Pastor's fault the numbers were low because he was scaring away sheep but he blamed me for the numbers being low because I was not recruiting people successfully although I suppose he would have worded it differently.  He wanted me to give him the name of everyone I taught each week and what passage of the Bible I taught them so he could put it on a list and send it to headquarters or somewhere else.  He said he would guess what I was teaching them sometime.  I am guessing if I got someone to study with me he would exaggerate how many times I meet them and put down that I taught whatever Bible passage and the numbers he sent to headquarters were inflated because he was under peer pressure from headquarters or somewhere else like I was from him.

Having such a positive experience with UBF I have no desire to eliminate it, I just wish they would change numerous things.  The Pastor could have made many obvious changes on a local level although that might have resulted in him being excommunicated but if he really believed what I was originally told UBF was he should have been okay with being excommunicated and doing ministry on his own even if they take the Church building from him because UBF is a laypersons ministry and UBF laypeople people are teaching on their own initiative instead of only clergy doing the teaching.

So I would like to ask the following questions?

Does the Pastor actually know it is his fault numbers are low or is he malicious?

If the Pastor is malicious is he doing this for money, to fit in socially, or because he enjoys controlling people?

If the Pastor knows it is his fault the numbers are low is he making low numbers on purpose to have better quality students?  Is the Pastor making numbers low on purpose to prevent the ministry from collapsing?

I wonder if 100 times as many people showed up on one Sunday as the previous Sunday
University Bible Fellowship would ideologically collapse
because of to much outside information
I wrote a whole article about that
there are currently a lot of typos however 
feel free to point them out
https://fellowshipbibleuniversity.blogspot.com/2018/01/lets-hope-for-catastrophic-100-fold.html

If the Pastor is making low numbers on purpose to make higher quality students, why is he blaming me?

Could I have done it, actually taught students on my own in large numbers?

I actually tried teaching people one to one Bible study after I left UBF and was more successful but it ultimately did not turn out successfully in terms of retention, however, when I had more feeling of autonomy I know I was more successful than when I was peer pressured to do things the Pastor's way, the Bible students showed up more consistently and longer before retention was lost.

Is the Pastor the same thing as the Chapter director?

If the Pastor thinks he is competent is this the Dunning Kruger effect?

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein people of low ability suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority derives from the metacognitive inability of low-ability persons to recognize their own ineptitude; without the self-awareness of metacognition, low-ability people cannot objectively evaluate their actual competence or incompetence.[1]
As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the cognitive bias of illusory superiority results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[1]
Conversely, highly competent individuals may erroneously presume that tasks easy for them to perform are also easy for other people to perform, or that other people will have a similar understanding of subjects that they themselves are well-versed in.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
Accessed online 2018 January 22

Presuming the Pastor was not malicious, did I fail to realize the Pastor was incompetent because of the curse of knowledge?
https://improvingubfotherarticles.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-curse-of-knowledge.html

I actually do not know the answers to these questions and wonder about them from time to time, post your opinions in the comments

Here is the same article on my blog
https://improvingubfotherarticles.blogspot.com/2018/01/is-your-pastor-or-chapter-director.html

There are other articles on my blogs that I am not posting here
http://improvinguniversitybiblefellowship.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment